Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: i'm really worried

i'm really worried 2 weeks 3 days ago #2633

• target
  • Fresh Boarder
Really getting worried, Alt fest, meaning alternative? I remember early festivals, run by the people, for people, for many it was a working class holiday, a breathing hole, until they were criminalised or violently suppressed. Our cultural heritage was then sold back to us for a price, not only through high ticket prices but by corporate take-over.
I’m really concerned where Alt fest is going; with the Royal Indian Safari Tents for £1,400,00 at pot the luxury yurts for £700 a pot and the corporate champagne and Pimms bars, and private viewing platforms for those that can afford. The creative bars actually promise to manage us effectively, but with a smile (word to word from site).
It’s the first Alt fest, and I would appreciate this post stays up so both organisers and people attending can comment on this. Those of us with a bit of a history of festivals have something in common and that is what we have lost. The magical times when everyone was mucking in and creating a world to escape, like Burning man festival or Stonehenge, free from branding, a D.I.Y working functioning community.
I imagine an Alt fest (Alternative festival) where people take responsibility for what they consume, how they leave the place after, reengaging with their own creativity, not just passive consumers and spectators, where all those attending are at an equal level of participation. I can only suggest at this late stage we make our mark. Most festivals are becoming like town centres places designed to alienate us from our environment. I only hope we can create something really different, being alternative is not just about cos play. This is an opportunity for both organisers and attenders to create something we can call our own….
The administrator has disabled public write access.

i'm really worried 2 weeks 1 day ago #2650

• Hexa-dB
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The way I look at it, it costs more these days to put on a festival. You can't just persuade a farmer to let you run one in a field for a few days. Compared to, say 30 years ago, I'd imaging that there are loads of added costs like all the insurance stuff, permits, infrastructure- not to mention booking bands big enough to sell the tickets. The 'glamping' thing and viewing platforms just help to bring in some extra cash. If someone has the cash and desire to pay extra to get close to their hero, and if by giving them the opportunity it helps pay for better bands/facilities and lower ticket prices then I'm all for it.

The champagne/pimms bar thing I take as a fun bit of absurdity - like the ballroom and stuff was in Lost Vagueness at Glastonbury - people in ball gowns & tuxedos surrounded by mud and tents.

Also - I kind of assumed that the Alt was more about Alternative music rather than alternative lifestyle.

All just my 2p worth and probably wrong/missing the point but it beats working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: target

i'm really worried 1 week 1 day ago #2736

• contrapost
  • Fresh Boarder
Well. i said goodbye to roskilde because i got too old for that frstival, even thougt roskilde is most convinient festival for me. i believe there are a lot of small festivals around the world that have the classic values also because they are quite young and fresh. there might be a lot of alternatives across the europe
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds