Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Diabetes and Festivals

Diabetes and Festivals 3 months 1 day ago #2216

• Trigger
  • Fresh Boarder
Not an over interesting topic, but it's my first festival and I'm diabetic so I wonder if anyone had any tips to keep in mind? Already thought of the obvious, like keeping a stack of Dextrose Tablets, giving an insulin pen or two to a friend to keep safe incase of emergencies, BM kit and all the usual.

Realise this is a bit specific as well so may not get much advice, but thanks for reading!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Diabetes and Festivals 3 months 1 day ago #2217

• Hemlox
  • Administrator
  • Sky Pirate
  • Thank you received: 110
We'll always do what we can to help I'm no expert on diabetes but my own personal recommendations would be to make sure your friends know what to do in the event of an emergency, and also wear a medical wristband you can get engraved (you may already do this).

Sorry if these are all obvious things!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trigger

Diabetes and Festivals 3 months 1 day ago #2220

• Trigger
  • Fresh Boarder
It's the obvious stuff that's often forgotten, so thanks!

Diabetes and Festivals 2 weeks 2 days ago #2647

• TimeTravelVandal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • You're Welcome
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey there Trigger, I've been a diabetic since 2010 and have gone to Download 2010, 2012, 2013 and Sonisphere 2011 and 2014 as a diabetic

The only major problems I have had with it as a festival were in 2010 when I didn't know I was diagnosed with it and Download 2013 where the long walk between the arena and campsite in the blistering heat caused me to hypo.

You have covered most of the things you would need to do which is excellent Just tell your friends also to watch out for particular symptoms such as if you need to start urinating a lot or become dangerously thirsty very frequently.

Dextrose tablets are key as they will keep your levels up if you go too low however these sugar things that save you from hypos are known as 'false carbs' meaning that whilst they may bring you back up there is an inherent danger that they could send you back into another hypo. So if you do need to take dextrose make sure you have something savoury immediately afterwards such as bread, crisps or even some chips from a stand at the festival so you can get a good level of safe blood sugar levelling out

Do not be afraid to tell a steward you are feeling iffy and you are on your own. When I hypo'd at Download 2013 they got the medical team over and took very good care of me, don't underestimate them because there will be at least one steward within the site that knows a diabetic or knows how to deal with them.

Medical wristband or necklace is recommended as it will have information on in case you have a massive problem and become incomprehensible and none of your friends are around, for example my medical necklace reads

Aidan Ducker
18th December 1990
Diabetic Type 1
Insulin Dependent
Allergic to Amoxycillin

It's not too hard to control at a festival but keep a close eye on it if you have quite a few beers during the day as well, I'm sure you'll be okay and have a great time. If you see a guy with a black mohawk shooting up insulin that'll be me so come say hi if you want to
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hemlox

Diabetes and Festivals 2 weeks 1 day ago #2651

• Trigger
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for that, great bit of info

Sadly, and I am mega p****** off at this, I aren't able to go this year now Always next time though!!!
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds