Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: festival virgin any advice greatly appreciated

festival virgin any advice greatly appreciated 1 month 2 days ago #2530

hi all this is first festival i am bringing my 14 year old son as he is a massive marilyn manson fan and dead kennedys fan booked tickets coach and camping got a tent, now what i ask is any advice on what we should bring?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

festival virgin any advice greatly appreciated 1 month 1 day ago #2532

• mephisto
  • Fresh Boarder
  • I hit things with sticks!
  • Thank you received: 3
Tent - the bigger the better (especially if it's wet). The most popular fairly economical are 2/3 man dome tents, however the range of tents/canvas arrangements you will see on site is amazing but many would cause distress to any boy scouts amongst you. (see separate Security Guide for camping advice).
Sleeping Bag - nothing too fancy is necessary, a 2 seasons one usually does the job.
Torch - a must to avoid the killer guy ropes.
Penknife - for opening cans and bottles, etc.
Loo Roll - oh yes ? you don't want to have to trudge for half an hour to get one.
Water Container - fill it up from the taps and it could save you a long queue in the morning. There are some collapsible containers with taps that are cheap and perfect.
Sun Block/Lotion - never believe the weather forecasts and bring some. 3 days with little shelter can test even the darkest skins.
Rain Proof Anorak - never believe the forecasts and bring one (many use black bin liners with holes cut out).
Hefty Boots/Trainers - you'll be on your feet a lot so those flip flops will lose their appeal.
One Complete Change of Clothing - a reminder for those of us who have had to pull on soaking wet clothes in the morning ... not pleasant.
Toiletries - soap, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste and a small towel. (Girls should consult Butterfly's Festival Glamour Guide for more in depth advice on toiletries etc).
Medication - inhalers, hayfever pills etc. If you might need them then don't forget them.
Money - 'fraid to say you'll need some. There are often cash machines on site at the bigger events, but usually accompanied by huge queues. Remember to keep enough to get home.
Condoms - you never know your luck. (that's you too girls!!)
Wet wipes - basically an instant shower, also useful for a whole range of other applications.

Optionals
Gas Cooker - good for that in-tent morning cup of tea.
Pot Noodles - if you have a cooker then these can make a change from burgers etc. (however the food at many festivals can be surprisingly good with plenty of variety). Very light to carry!
Wellies - if you haven't got a decent pair of water proof boots then wellies are a must even if you end up leaving them in the car.
Ghetto-blaster - for the nights around the fire and for the footy commentary (Glasto).
Booze - save yourself some money
Mattresses - more than 2 days on the ground and a blow-up mattress or a mat becomes compelling.
Others - everything from plasters and headache pills to Rizlas are available on site but if you've got room and are that thoughtful then take them.

Hope that helps!
Check out my band Sellsword: Seriously Unserious Power/Heavy Metal (www.facebook.com/mercenarymetal)

festival virgin any advice greatly appreciated 4 weeks 1 day ago #2548

• target
  • Fresh Boarder
ear plugs at for night time in tent so you sleep, it means you won't be tired all day the next day, I've been doing festivals since the Stonehenge days so they are a must. Bring some cereal and some long life milk small cartons or soya milk in small cartons you will save yourself £6.50 a head on breakfast, the rest is just camping common sense, the other guy covered most of it, forget the stereo and leave the football at home, it's a music festival. festivals only allow plastic bottles if your bringing booze. head scarf is good if it's baking hot as you will be outside all day. Good to see your kid is into some good tunes.....

festival virgin any advice greatly appreciated 2 weeks 1 day ago #2652

• Hexa-dB
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd add bin bags - tie one to a guy rope on the front of your tent and keep all your rubbish in one place. Also useful to sit on if the ground is wet, an emergency poncho, a cover for bags or an emergency witch costume.

Definitely wet wipes.

Something to tie on your tent if it's a popular one. It surprisingly easy to get disorientated and aim for the wrong tent. I made a flag from pink Cyberdog carrier bag for Glastonbury one year. A pound shop wind sock is another idea. I also used to tie sparkly ribbon to the guy ropes to try and stop people tripping over them.

I usually wear walking boots because they're comfy to stand around in all day and waterproof.

A hat in case it's sunny. A big scarf/sheet thing is handy too, for shade, or when it starts to get chilly as the sun goes down, to sit on - or to spray perfume on and wrap around your face when using the portaloos on the last day!

I usually take a little camping gaz burner for coffee and pot noodles.

Get to know your neighbours so you can keep an eye on each other's tents and borrow anything you might have forgotten.

There's nothing like the feeling you get when you're in, the tent is up and you sit with a cuppa and watch everyone coming in.
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds